Monday, October 10, 2011

Oh say! Can you see?

I am having so much fun! 


I was accepted into the "2011 Hymns of Thanksgiving" choir! The choir currently has 265 members (they hope for 274) and will be accompanied by a 65-70 member orchestra. We are learning 12 songs in 13 practices, but the directors are fabulous and really know what they are doing. It is a workout twice a week, but I am loving it! I love the challenge. 


Thanks to my uncle who traded voice training for moving sprinkler pipe on the farm. He was a very accomplished musician, and even sang with the Mormon Tabernacle Choir for a time. I only got about 4 lessons out of the deal, but at times like this I pull what I learned out of the closet, dust it off and let it carry me away. I wish I hadn't been so shy and self-conscious back then so I could have learned more from him, but what he taught me has served me well. 


All the years of band, choir and piano lessons have served well, too. I'm glad Heavenly Father gave me the Bright love of music! It has greatly enriched my life. 


So, I'll be singing almost non-stop for the next 7 weeks. Lots of music to learn and the warm up number to memorize. If you hear me singing under my breath while walking down the street, just smile and wave. 


"Oh say! Can you see by the dawn's early light..."

3 comments:

  1. Way to go sis! They will be so blessed to have you. You have a beautiful voice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's awesome...congrats!!! This is the same choir that Beth sings in isn't it? If so I loved the performance that I went to.

    ReplyDelete