Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Conference Bomb Shell

So, because of the race Saturday we missed the big announcement on Saturday. James was trying to listen on the radio, but couldn't hear much. He heard something about "missions" and "young women."

When we got home our son, Johnathan called to get our reaction. He filled us in, and I went to the living room. 

Me: Hey, James. What do you think about going on your mission NEXT YEAR?

James: What?

Me: What do you think about going on your mission next year?

James: WHAT?

I told him that he could go as soon as he graduated from high school. 

James looked like a deer caught in the headlights of an oncoming car. Too bad I didn't get a picture. 

I later watched that portion of conference, and it seems that's the common reaction from the boys. The girls on the other hand, were all smiles and excitement. 

I look back on my youth, and I really don't know if I would have been ready to serve at 19. I guess if that was the age I grew up with it would have been ok, but I look at where I was at that time and I don't think it would have worked for me. 

We assured James that it's up to him. He can choose when to go. It just seems so weird that we could have two missionaries out at the same time. If James goes at 18.5 (next October), Hannah will be 19 by the next August...and we're pretty sure she's planning to go. 

I'm pretty sure what Tom would have chosen. He had a similar choice during his mission. He had been in Australia 17 months and was given the choice to leave for home at 18 months. He stayed the whole 2 years. 

What's your reaction? 

2 comments:

  1. I honestly think that with the way the world is getting this comes at just the right time. I think that year can be a real deal breaker for a lot of young men who accidentally get into trouble. I also think like you it wouldn't have been the right time in my life but that nowadays it is getting more and more essential for girls to REALLY develop a strong testimony and that this will give girls something specific to work towards.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My sister was saying something similar. She's noticed how in our family the two that served missions were better prepared for life. She and I were the missionaries.

    ReplyDelete