Thursday, February 6, 2014

Ugh, Jury Duty

I never got summoned until we moved to Idaho, and I was perfectly happy. Now I get summoned every three years. So far I've been summoned at least four times in 13.5 years. Tom has been summoned at least three times, John twice and Tim once. I have called in every day and not been needed (my favorite), put on stand-by and then not needed (that's next best), part of the selection process, and now on the jury.

It was a very interesting experience, to say the least. I had to be there by 10:30 am, but we didn't even start until 11:15 am. After they selected the jury (lucky me) we went to lunch. Trial started at 2 pm. It was a man in his late 50's who had gotten a reckless driving ticket for riding his motorcycle at 107 mph in a 50 mph zone. He was found guilty of reckless driving.

The jury ended up being 5 women ages 50 and above, and one 25 year old woman. The prosecutor was probably very happy with the selection. The defendant was defending himself, and I don't know what he was thinking. I wouldn't have kept me if I'd been in his shoes. I never wanted to be on a jury, and realistically, they should have never had me on this one based on the answers I gave.

During the process I wasn't too stressed (other than hating the fact that I was missing my girl's night out.) After I got home it all settled in, and I couldn't sleep. All. Night. Long. I finally drifted off at 4 am, but didn't sleep well. I gave up at 7 am and went for my daily walk.

At one point in the selection process they asked if anyone would be too stressed giving a verdict not knowing what the sentence would be. So next time I'll just tell them that being on a jury stresses me too much and causes health issues. We'll see if that will get me off.

No comments:

Post a Comment