Monday, July 13, 2009

Project Uplift--UPDATED!

Caution! Under construction!

If you look past the cute kid you'll see the wall paper that was in our bathroom. My sister in law was jealous because she's into the 1950's era. We hated it. It was silver with butterflies in pastel blues and yellows. The wall paper was on two walls of the bathroom and plain white paint on the other two walls.



So, one day about a week after Tom got the staples out of his head, he decided it was time to remodel the bathroom. Before long I was wishing he had waited until my foot was healed before starting.

He started by texturing the walls...in huge sweeping designs. (The kids helped him...lol.) Then he painted. I didn't feel like going to the store with him so we ended up with purple paint that dried about twice as dark as it started. It was way too overpowering for that small room.

So, the next trip to the store I went with him. Unfortunately, the shade I wanted is right between the one we got and the next one up. There is no middle ground on purple paint. The salesman made sure we had primer this time, and Tom applied it to the bathroom...and the dark purple paint came down in sheets!




Next he decided he needed to scrape everything off the walls and ceiling. He practically had it down to the plaster. Finally, he textured again, applied the primer and then the paint. The last step was the deep clean...

He's still working on that, but at least the bathroom is now livable!

The problem with painting is that other things look old and used. I made a new curtain for the window from a shower curtain, and I bought a new cup, soap dispenser and rug.



Notice the container sitting on the sink. I'm so used to living on a shoe string. Why go buy toilet brush holders for good money when an old ice cream container will work just as well? A friend recently posted on her blog about covering a container with scrapbook paper and modge podge. Now our old ice cream container/toilet brush holder looks kinda cute, if I do say so myself...Thanks for the inspiration, Mandi!



Tom painted the door with the purple paint and scrubbed the door knob until it shines. He painted the trim with pure white. Notice the light switch...he still needs to clean the texturing stuff off.

I also bought a new towel rack, and found one I liked over at Freddie's. It was half-off and they gave me another $1.50 off at the register. I hung it on the wall.



We have no room for toothbrush holders in our bathroom, but I saw this idea at a friend's house when we took our vacation back east. There's two pockets for each of us to store toothbrush, toothpaste, floss and whatever else.



Last, but not least...

For those of you who are like me and forgot what one of these looks like...

Tom bought a brand new heat vent cover! He looked at the old one (probably original equipment from the 1950's) and decided we needed a new one that works and doesn't have 14 coats of paint on it...lol.



Now that the work is done, I am so glad we did it! I love my new bathroom! Stay tuned for future projects.

2 comments:

  1. What a beautiful new library you have! LOL Just kidding. The bathroom looks great. It is nice to see all of the hard work pay off.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow!!! what a project!!! the purple paint story is hilarious (as long as i don't have to deal with it, i'm laughing! ) looks like it turned out great!! good job!!!

    ReplyDelete