Tuesday, May 19, 2009

I love mail like this

I’m glad I have a part of your patriarchal blessing, and I’m grateful you did your part in teaching me, otherwise I may not have made it out here or stayed out here. But I’m glad I have. This experience, good times and bad, has been one of the more beneficial and influential in my life.

I love the book of Mormon. This week I picked it up and decided I wanted to reread 2nephi 4. In this chapter Lehi finishes teaching his children and then dies and Nephi begins to understand that those are his shoes he must fill. He’s got to step up and start being a prophet instead of just a righteous man. He was already on overload dealing with his brothers now he’s responsible for everybody and as he thinks of that sacred trust he wants to scream "o wretched man that I am". It’s a really powerful section. I decided I want to memorize it.
I like the idea of trying to stay clean more than trying to get clean. It’s a much more optimistic way to look at it. we are not these evil dirty beings stained by another mans sins like some think we are but rather the very children of God and some of his more valiant at that.

What you said about the balance between the physical spiritual and emotional that you have been discovering was really neat. I think it was yesterday or perhaps the day before Elder Ericksen and I were discussing the relationship between the body mind and spirit. We concluded (in Freudian fashion) that the body was the carnal nature and our spirit obviously that part of us which desires righteousness. Our brain or mind is the place where these two battle it out (almost like 2 Nephi 2:27 (I think)) and where all the decisions are made. What’s sweet is I have been able to learn that the veil is more or less self imposed and the more ready we are to receive revelation the more we will receive. Our spirit holds back our subconsiousness because we're not ready to know what it contains. So with all that in mind what you concluded is definitely true. As you focus more on building up your spiritual plane it will fill the gaps and needs your mind feels imposed on it by your body and at the same time will give you and is giving you further light to take care of your tabernacle. I hope all that made sense.
It’s funny what things you learn as you are kept awake from one thing or another.
This week was pretty good. Not a ton to tell about. Hopefully what few potential investigators we do have will begin to progress shortly. We are working with some Chinese guys. Dr. Wong and Dong Yue are roommates and both atheists. It’s difficult for them to believe in God or to understand the culture of those who do because they are natively from china. In china to be religious is discouraged. They’re both great guys and there is some potential there for both of them. Hopefully with this last few weeks we'll have with them we can help them in one way or another.
Well, I love ya have a great week
john

1 comment:

  1. That's awesome. It's so cool to see the spiritual growth and muture wisdom that comes with serving a valiant mission. There are some really profound thoughts there that got me thinking :). Isn't it funny how (at least I'm this way) when we bear our testimonies, sometimes we are just saying what on our mind and wonder if it makes sense as we're saying it? The interesting thing is, as the spirit speaks through us, everything is so clearly stated. I love it. Thanks for sharing stuff like this!

    ReplyDelete