Friday, August 7, 2009

Teenagers

Stacie commented, "It is good to know that there are some advantages to having teens." So, I made a list of a few things I enjoy about teenagers. I never thought I would enjoy them as much as I have, but I think this is my favorite stage so far. My kids are NOT perfect at the things on this list, but I prefer to look at the good things that happen with them...lol!

Things I love about teenagers

1. They are capable of doing everything I do.
2. I can assign them to do large jobs, like dishes, laundry, taking out the garbage, cleaning and vaccuming, and expect it to be done.
3. I teach them to do all the above, but my work load is light because they are doing them to practice.
4. I also get to teach them how to balance a checkbook, use a debit card and budget.
5. If they drive, they do errands for me.
6. Sometimes they surprise me with their maturity, understanding and compassion.
7. I can have deep intellectual and spiritual conversations with them.
8. We can play Scrabble (and other adult games) and enjoy it.
9. We enjoy playing, biking, swimming, hiking, camping together.
10. I can teach them how to cook and sew.
11. I love hearing their opinions about the world, politics, and other subjects.
12. I love asking James to help Hannah with her math homework because it's too advanced for me, and he does it cheerfully.
13. I love seeing them experience life and sometimes things that I experienced as a youth, like band, missions, etc.
14. I love seeing them excel, especially when they become better than me in some things. I hope they will be better people than I was.
15. I love seeing them discover themselves and their strengths.

2 comments:

  1. I think it will be wonderful to see who they grow into. Glad I sparked a great list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you have so many positive things to say about raising teenagers - usually you just hear the woes parents have with them. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete