Wednesday, March 28, 2012

They sure don't make them like they used to



I've been experimenting with sourdough this week, so I've made two batches of bread. As the second batch of bread came out of the oven, I reached for a knife. Two out of three bread knives were needing a wash, so I ended up grabbing the oldest of my bread knives.


As I cut the bread I thought about this knife. It's the oldest knife I own. It has a fingernail polish mark on the handle because I took it to college and needed a way to tell it apart from the knives my roommates brought with them. It was new back then and didn't even cost that much. Thirty years later this knife has cut countless amounts of bread, tomatoes, and cardboard boxes, yet it's still going strong. Yesterday it cut through my freshly baked bread like...well, like a knife! A sharp knife!


I only hope I last as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment