Saturday, October 17, 2009

Bread and Races

While we were doing all the canning a week ago my Magic Mill mixer gave up the ghost and we ordered a new Bosch. After about 5 days and I still hadn't heard a word from the company, Tom called them and found out that the order hadn't gone through. So we got online and ordered through a local company called Harvest House. It was going to cost $100 more, but we figured we'd at least have somewhere to take it if we had problems in the coming months.

That afternoon, Harvest House called to tell me that because of a special they had going they could save me $75! Then she asked when I wanted the Bosch delivered. She asked if I wanted it that day and where I lived. I gave her directions and then she said, "We'd want to beat the traffic. Will you be home in the next hour?" OF COURSE, I WILL! I was so excited! Not only that, but she called back today to see how my new machine is doing.


My favorite bread recipe:

Whole Wheat Bread
6 cups warm water
2/3 cups oil
2/3 cups honey
2 Tbsp salt
2 Tbsp yeast
1/3 cup gluten flour
1 Tbsp lemon juice
16 cups whole wheat flour (approx.)

Blend water, yeast, oil, honey, salt, gluten flour and lemon juice with about 9 cups of the flour. With mixer on, continue to add more flour until dough pulls away from the sides of the bowl. Beat on medium to high speed 10-15 minutes, until gluten is formed and dough becomes elastic. Mold and place in greased bread pans. Let rise until about an inch above the pan while preheating the oven to 400 degrees. Put bread in preheated oven and lower the temperature to 350 degrees. Bake for 30 minutes. Makes 5 loaves.


Now for the racing...

Tom was talking to his aunt last time we were in Utah and she told him the best thing she ever did was start running marathons when she was 50. So he came home and found the Barber to Boise 5k run to enter.



Tom and Tim before the race


Here's Tom warming up for the race.


Below is Tim warming up (or should I say...goofing off with James)


Tim is nearing the finish line!

Here comes the old man!

After the race

Hannah said, "Mom, we should train for the 5k walk next year." I think it's a great idea.

2 comments:

  1. Good for them to start running. I admire people that can have the dedication to stick to it. And AWESOME deal on the Bosch! My mom had one growing up and it was fabulous.

    ReplyDelete