Monday, November 14, 2011

Amazing Stories

I've been in the mood to watch documentaries lately. The other day I watched one about some mountain climbers who had a harrowing experience. It was called "Touching the Void" and I was totally amazed at what the one climber did to get off the mountain alive. After that and the ones I've watched about climbing Mount Everest I've decided that any mountain climbing I do will not be that exhausting or that cold. I don't want to risk my life or battle frostbite for a little fun. It doesn't sound fun to me at all. 


Most recently I've watched a few about the Holocaust. "Steal a Pencil for Me" was about a young couple who met before they were taken to the camps. They wrote love letters the whole time they were in the camps and were fortunate to survive. It's possible that their love kept them going. They have now been married 60+ years. 


"The Hidden Child" was about a lady and her sister who were hidden from the Nazi's. She told about the first time she had chocolate when the town was liberated. 60 some odd years later she eats chocolate every day and remembers when the troops came to liberate them. 


The most amazing for me was "Forgiving Dr. Mengele." It was about a lady and her sister who were part of the twin experiments Dr. Mengele did during the war. Eva was determined to survive and at one point it was her determination that saved both her and her sister. In later years Eva's sister died from the experiments that had happened to her, but Eva was able to forgive all Nazi's. She says several times that forgiveness is freeing yourself of the pain of the past. 


I've discovered that same thing myself, and I'm always amazed at how many people never fully understand forgiveness. It's so simple, but so hard at the same time. So many just can't wrap their minds around the fact that they can forgive without the guilty party asking forgiveness. They want to hold on to the anger until the other person comes around. Eva said that as long as she waited for the Nazi's to apologize she would remain a victim, and she didn't want to be a victim any longer. She has spent years trying to help people understand forgiveness with little success. I know how she feels. I guess it's something people have to be ready for at specific moments in their lives.  

1 comment:

  1. Wow... I love documentaries, too, but there are some I just can't watch quite yet. That sounds like one of them. But the amazing stories of forgiveness... more sure witnesses of how awesome the power of the Atonement really is.

    ReplyDelete