Friday, January 2, 2009

Happy New Year!

For many years we would set the same goals over and over and never acheive them. I started dreading the New Year's celebration. I was so discouraged and depressed. Nothing ever changed...not my weight (except to go up), not Tom's employment situation, not our finances...

During this time I was called to serve in the Primary presidency and the Bishop promised me an amazing blessing when he set me apart. He told me that if I fulfilled my calling my desires of a home and land would be filled. I did my best at that calling, and ultimately we moved to Boise a couple years later, on my birthday in 2000.

When we moved here I held on to that promise the Bishop gave me, and we finally bought our first home six years ago. Tom's employment has been steadier. We set goals of paying off overdue bills from our time in Salt Lake City, our school loans, our van and the credit cards, respectfully. Over a period of seven years we were able to finally pay off all consumer debt. My weight has even been coming down. It's been one of the hardest experiences of my life to overcome the issues that were the very reasons I gained weight in the first place.

Every year I spend the time between Thanksgiving and Christmas counting my blessings, enjoying the time with my family, and planning for the next year. That's when I set my goals and do all the normal New Year's things. Between this habit and the discouragement I was feeling for many years New Year's has been a wasted holiday in my mind. Right next to Halloween on my list of least liked holidays.

This year has been different. Everything has been the same as usual except I have been so excited. I set my goals and couldn't wait to start them...so I didn't...lol! This year is going to be a great year! To quote something Tom told me over and over during the hard years, "Something great is just around the corner."

1 comment:

  1. That's part of the battle is to recognize the blessings when they come and be thankful for them. I'm glad that this New Year is one not to be dreaded.

    ReplyDelete