Wednesday, March 3, 2010

B & B

No, I don't mean Bed and Breakfast! I'm talking about Bummers and Blessings.

I was SO excited to think that I've now been off gluten for two whole months, and I was looking forward to slowly start eating it again. I've anticipated tasting that first slice of fresh baked white bread with butter and homemade strawberry jam all week. I've looked forward to not having to read every single label while shopping, being able to use a few convenience foods in my cooking, and being able to eat more than a salad at a restaurant. Then I visited the naturopath today, and he said, "NOT YET."

BUMMER.

I've been so discouraged ever since. Typically, I am not a picky eater and I'm getting so tired of always worrying about what is in the food I eat. In some ways this has been the longest four months of my entire life. Sometimes I can't even see the light at the end of the tunnel. Even though I have already seen some great changes in my health and weight loss, it seems like I'm never going to get to the end of the journey.

BLESSING...

My good friend who is traveling this journey with me brought me a gluten-free treat this afternoon. Macadamia nuts! Just knowing she cared was enough to make me cry.

One of my favorite things as RS president is doing food orders. Sometimes it is hard to not judge and to find ways to help people improve from the self-imposed slump they are in. Other times it can be so heart-wrenching to hear about their troubles. But I always feel glad that I can help them in some small way. Tonight was one of the second type of food orders. I felt ashamed while talking to a sister who is facing so many trials, knowing that my biggest trial at the moment is a hiccup in comparison. The experience reminded me that Heavenly Father is in charge and that I need to trust Him.

One last note about RS...I've always cared about people and what is happening in their lives, but I have always assumed that if they want me to know something they will tell me. As RS president I've had to learn that as "mother of the ward" most of it is my business and it's ok to push for a little more information. Most of the time it's just priming the pump, and then they will share. Also, I've always been one who doesn't gossip much. I'm usually the last one to know what's going on. So this has been a very interesting experience learning what needs to be shared with the Bishop. Just part of my learning curve, but I know Heavenly Father hasn't left me alone in this. I always feel that someone is with me, helping me along as I carry out my duties.

No comments:

Post a Comment