Saturday, November 1, 2008

Another crazy week

This last week was another crazy one. Monday was a funeral for a man in the ward. Tom traded his shift thinking the funeral would be around 10 am, but actually it was at 12:30, and he had to be to work at 12:30. The family dinner was at 4 and I helped with that. Tom got home from work at 9:30 pm.

Tuesday was the awards concert for marching band. Tim's band did the best this year that they've done in several years. They took first in their division and second overall at one competition (the first time they performed the show all the way through), and then they took second in their division a week later when the competition was stiffer. That was the third time they had performed the show. Considering all the injuries, illnesses and other challenges they faced this year...including a freak early snow storm that kept them from the first competition of the year...they did extremely well this year.

Wednesday was Scout Court of Honor. James received his star award. Both boys received the hiking merit badge since they completed the 50-mile hike this summer.

Thursday was the book group. We read "Enna Burning" by Shannon Hale and met Thursday to talk about it. The other Ann had prepared a fire in her backyard fire pit and we roasted marshmellows and drank cider as we discussed the book.

Friday was Halloween and the church Halloween party. I had decided we could do it with the other ward which meets in the same building we do and the other chairman took charge. She was so adamant that they had to do it on Halloween (even though the building was scheduled for our ward to use it that night) and we HAD to do everything her way. Well, I was afraid there was no leadership to follow the bluster, and I was right. I won't bore you with the details, but I was NOT a happy camper at that party. Never again! One good thing was that I filled and carried 2 - 5 gal thermos jugs from the kitchen to the table where the drinks were set up. I was surprised at how easily I did that. I've always had good upper body strength, but just last summer I couldn't have done it. The benefits of bp meds and exercise is all I can think of for that.

Today we finally had time to go to our home teacher's and pick grapes. Tom has been helping me steam them and put the juice in bottles. We also went shopping. I finally decided that I needed an exercise bike because my foot is taking so long to heal. Last time this happened (with my right foot) I didn't have any problems staying off my feet while it healed. I hated exercising then and I wasn't working every day. This time I am working every day AND I enjoy exercising. It's been killing me to not be able to do it, and now the weather is too cold to want to bicycle around town. So we finally settled on a bike, bought it, brought it home, I put it together. James and Hannah have both done 30+ minutes on it since we set it up. LOL...maybe I'll get to use it. I didn't want to spend as much money as we did, but he said it was an investment in my health and I was glad he had such a good attitude about it.

Well, that was my week. I'm teaching Hannah's Sunday School class tomorrow and next Sunday I'm talking in church. Never a dull moment around here!

Now Tim is riding the bike.

2 comments:

  1. LOL - It's my understanding that moms don't actually *have* property, LOL... isn't it all family stuff? ;-)

    Sorry to hear that the Trunk or Treat was hectic... wish we could've been there, anyway! :-) And it's OVER. Yay!!! :-) (I'm just feeling a tremendous sense of relief now that Kiddo's costume is done; party stuff is cooked, brought, and over; and my sleep schedule is totally wacked out... oh, wait, maybe not so relieved about that part, LOL...)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry you had the stress over the Trunk or treat! From my perspective it turned out awesome, the food was wonderful, the games fun, the candy plentiful and wow what a turnout! It brought a lot of inactive members out and that is a great help to the ward in making them feel welcome even if they don't come to church. I talked to quite a few people I haven't seen at church in a while, so thank you for all the work!

    ReplyDelete